Thoughts on preaching

1. ...on audible feedback during preaching

My church tends to be pretty audible (for lack of a better word. I think that there is a word for it but it escapes me at the moment). Our members aren't as vocal as some of the other churches that I've been to or seen on TV but they are certainly on that side of the spectrum. The spectrum ranges from extremely vocal on one end (think black Pentecostal church in the South) to silent, stone-like Reformed Presbyterian, on the other. None of these are good or bad, they're mere cultural idiosyncrasies. The noise can be annoying for some and encouraging for others. Some people like the sound of Brooklyn at night while others prefer the peace and quiet of Upstate. 

In small churches (and I mean very small) audible feedback feels almost necessary. There's nothing more uncomfortable than a room containing 15 people where one is howling at the top of their lungs and everyone else is muted. There's a seeming lack of proportionality to it. There are too few people to demand quiet. Quiet is only necessary when everyone talking would be subversive. A few people shouting "amen" every now and then in a carton sized room shows loyalty to the one speaking. That what they're saying is valuable, even if they haven’t amassed enough people by their preaching to demand a quiet crowd.

2. ...on magisterial preaching.

There is an undeniable difference between what I'll call magisterial preaching (again, for lack of a better word) and normal ho-hum preaching. There is a certain conviction in the tone. A gravitas in the speaker himself. A command of the people's respect and attention. A sense that this person is supposed to be listened to. That they are the professional, licensed by God. 

I don't think anyone would define my preaching as "magisterial", but I'm hoping that is something that can be learned with time and effort. And I think I have good enough reasons to think that it can. All I can say is that, at my best, I sound like someone who is knowledgable in what I am talking about. That causes some people to listen, and I am thankful for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment